PYLAX Sportsmanship Statements
- Treat players, parents, referees and opponents with respect.
- Teach and inspire lacrosse players to love the game and to compete fairly.
- Demonstrate by example the type of person he/she wants the players to be.
- Have control and command discipline at all times.
- Respect the interpretation of rules and judgments by the officials.
- Realize that as a coach he/she is a teacher and therefore must understand the game and proper techniques to teach his/her players.
- All players are to be given the maximum opportunity for quality participation in all aspects of the game in a safe and secure environment.
- All players should be made to feel that they have contributed to, or are making a contribution, however small, to the team effort.
- All players are entitled to quality instruction toward the development of lacrosse skills and tactics.
- Treat opponents with respect.
- Treat coaches and fellow teammates with respect.
- Play hard and within the rules of the game of lacrosse.
- Demonstrate self-control.
- Respect officials and accept their decisions without gesture or argument.
- Win without boasting, lose without excuses and never quit.
- Remember that it is a privilege to represent PYL and your community.
- All players should be aware that encouraging and supporting all teammates is essential to success.
- All players should be aware of the rules of the game of lacrosse and be encouraged to abide by these at all times.
- Cheer constructively for the team at all times.
- Do not coach the team players, including your own youngster, from the sidelines during games.
- Respect the judgment of the officials and do not criticize them during games.
- Decrease the pressure to win.
- Communicate with the coach and create a positive, supportive working relationship.
- Understand and respect the different roles of parents and coaches.
- Control negative emotions and actions.
- Show patience for the younger, developing lacrosse players.